Trinidad Park

Trinidad Park - Home to Parkgrove Football Club 1877-1880

The Broomloan Estate

The estate is highlighted on a map from 1865 .


In 1876, the Northern part of the estate had already been developed. The southern part was, as yet to be built on.


In 1884, after Parkgrove had collapsed, there is no indication of a sports field, even though games were continuing on Trinidad Park in the winter of 1882


In 1887-88, Rangers founded the First Ibrox on the Copeland Road suggesting, Trinidad Park may have been on either side of the ground.

© 2021 National Library of Scotland

The location of the Trinidad Park ground has never accurately been pin-pointed. Very little was known other than it was on the Broomloan Estate and on the Copeland (or Copland) Road, Govan.

Documents in the National Records of Scotland indicate:

Plan of feus bounded by Copland and Edmiston Roads, Broomhouse Avenue, Whitefield Street and Ibrox. Turnpike, Broomloan House, and brickworks.

In the Summer of 1877, with financial assistance from Andrew Watson, the field was rented from Thomas Lucas Paterson who owned Broomloan. Paterson was reputed to have been extremely avaricious. When the Glasgow & South Western Railway enquired about routing their train lines through Broomload, Paterson's demands were so outrageous that the train company diverted the lines around Broomload instead.

Paterson's avarice may have been a contributory factor in Parkgrove's later collapse in 1880?